Next Step Consulting was founded in 1998 with the mission to assist boards, chief executives and business owners create strategic market and operational advantages, strengthen leadership and enhance team performance.
Our team of skilled associates collaborate on projects and workshops that deliver outstanding value to our corporate and business clients alike.
Next Step’s Strategy Institute™ is dedicated to exploring the emerging ideas of global thought leaders and practitioners. We distill the most important insights and lessons, so our clients can enjoy ongoing sustainable competitive advantages. Because the business environment and the Internet continuously evolves, our priority is to support clients to uncover new sources of advantage and assist them in crafting superior strategies.
Our Executive Alchemy™ coaching process is transformative and includes a rich mixture of intuition, education, action learning, enneagram awareness and practical psychology, specific to each leader and their circumstances. We work with leaders and teams to go into and through the fires of transformation, to realise and sustain their maximum potential.
Our new clients often find the best investment they can make is to give us a full day with their entire team (or their entire organisation) to help them build World Class Teams™. In a day, we ensure you and your people learn to trust one another, raise awareness around common dilemmas, engage in unfiltered conflict and finally commit to joint decisions and actions.
Next Step Consulting’s Founder, John Hale is a Visiting Professor of Strategy, Entrepreneurship, Leadership and Ethics to Executive MBA and MBA students at various business schools, including Singapore Management University, Melbourne Business School and Bond University.
John enjoys academic privileges at Harvard Business School, however it is his extensive industry experience that allows our consulting practice to deliver clarity and superior value.
JOHN ROBERT HALE
Founder and Principal
Next Step Consulting (ABN 34 630 099 398)
Master of Business Administration, Melbourne Business School, 1998.
Graduate Diploma Exercise & Sport Science, Victoria University of Technology, 1994.
Graduate Diploma Education, University of Melbourne, 1993.
Bachelor of Computer Science, Deakin University, 1986.
Bachelor of Science (Architecture), Deakin University, 1984.
Visiting Professor, Leadership and Ethics
Executive MBA Program, Bond University, 2008 – 2009.
Adjunct Professor, Leadership
Executive MBA Program, Bond University, 2007.
Industry Judge, Business Planning Competition
Singapore Management University, 2001 – 2006.
Licensee and Principal, Reggio Emilia Early Learning
Rainbow Children’s Centre, 2000 – 2003.
Lecturer, Strategy and Corporate Entrepreneurship
MBA Program Southern Cross University, 2000.
Lecturer, Project Management
MBA Program, Melbourne Business School, 1999.
Chinese Speaking, Griffith University, QLD. 2014.
Satori Leader, Awareness Academy, Corfu. 2009, 2013.
Leader Platform Speaking, Christopher Howard, Sydney, 2010.
Enneagram Teacher, Esalen Institute, Big Sur, CA. 2008.
Mastering the Inner Judge, Integral Being Institute, Italy. 2007.
Enlightenment Intensive, Paul Lowe, CA. 2005, 2006.
Avatar Master, Star’s Edge Inc, FL. 2006.
Gestalt Awareness, Gestalt Institute, NSW. 2005.
Teacher, David Deida, NY. 2004.
Reichian Therapy, Esalen Institute, Big Sur, CA. 2003.
Journey Hypnosis Practitioner, Brandon Bays, Sydney. 2002.
NLP Master, Anthony Robbins, San Diego, CA. 2001.
Bronze Cross Life Saving Examiner, RLSS Melbourne. 1992.
17 years – Speaking, Strategy Consulting & Executive Coaching
Private & Public Sector.
6 years – Information Systems, Sport & Event Management
Education and Elite Sport Sector.
5 years – Sales Management, Training & Systems Engineering
Corporate IT Sector.
NEXT STEP CONSULTING
Founder & Principal
September 1997 – Present
- Established consulting business in Melbourne and regional NSW. Private sector projects $15K-$50K, Local Govt $25K-$60K and Federal Govt to $110K.
- Strategy clients include venture start-ups, manufacturing, retail, health care, construction, professional services, tourism operators, primary industry, higher education and government. Regular guest strategy speaker at Tweed, Lismore, Byron and Ballina Business Chamber events.
- Created coaching programs for Executives and Business Owners.
- Facilitated frontline mentoring & organization wide team building events.
- Created JV regional public programs: Westpac™ Spirit of Business, Telstra™ Next Step Workshops, Wild Men, Everyman and Wild Nights.
LAURISTON GIRLS’ SCHOOL
IT Director and Rowing Director
July 1991 – August 1997
- Established technology center; transformed 60 staff from reluctant novices to independent PC and network users inside three years.
- Facilitator for activities and direction of a rowing community of 100 athletes and 250 supporters.
- Drove School’s first State (93, 94, 95) & National Rowing Title (93, 95) wins.
- Led a team of staff, parents, former and present students in conducting the two-day 1995 Victorian Schoolgirl Rowing Titles.
- HSC Physical Education & HSC Computer Science Teacher.
- Annual budget $200,000 and managed a department of 15 people.
FERNTREE COMPUTER CORPORATION
Senior Account Manager
October 1990 – June 1991
- Managed sales and productivity of account team.
- Maximized sales of PCs, networking, mid-range systems services.
- Exceeded budget sales by 30% to 120% each and every month.
- Corporate account responsibility for ANZ Bank and Boral Group.
- Developed knowledge of an extensive range of PC based products.
RUCAPS AUSTRALIA PTY LTD
National Sales Manager
February 1989 – September 1990
- Promoted U.K. based design software Sonata™ to Architectural Firms, Mechanical Engineering Groups and Retail Conglomerates.
- Managed sales support staff across four states.
- Exceeded sale targets by 100%, with revenue of $1.2M per annum.
- Developed international sales manual and trained sales reps.
- Aided the successful transfer of agency rights to an allied company.
Sales Support Consultant
February 1988 – February 1989
- Made numerous presentations and demonstrations of leading edge technology and software to government and corporate industry groups at conferences, seminars and trade shows.
- Assisted in close of $350K sale to State Bank Victoria; landing first Australian customer.
- Pre-sales support of leading edge document management system.
- Created Eastek™ System User Guide using desktop publishing software.
- Supported a team of 10 local and international UNIX programmers.
- First person outside of Massachusetts to interface a 38 gigabyte optical disk jukebox to a UNIX network; interfaced with full functionality in just 4 weeks and ahead of schedule.
APOLLO DOMAIN COMPUTER PTY LTD
Systems Support Engineer
December 1986 – January 1988
- Conducted training courses in O/S and graphics languages.
- Performed pre and post sales UNIX workstation support.
- Controlled hardware inventory logistics across four states.
- Solved 6 month old worldwide board logic problem inside four hours.
- Optimized runtime programs and libraries of third party software to win competitive workstation benchmarks over SUN Microsystems™, Digital Equipment Corporation™ and Hewlett Packard™.
- Reduced cost of service quality by approximately 10% and shipping costs by 15% for the company’s stock management operations.
Australian Men’s Netball Champions 1987, 1988 and 1989.
Australian Universities Heavyweight Four Oared Champions in 1986.
Victorian Country Basketball Champions in 1985.
Victorian Double Sculling Champion in 1984.
Victorian Under 21 Single Sculling Champion in 1983.
Victorian Schoolboy Eight Oared Champions in 1981.